Saint Bernard Dog Breeds Powerful, proportionately tall figure, strong and muscular in every part, with powerful head and most intelligent expression. In dogs with a dark mask the expression appears more stern, but never ill-natured.
This genial giant is nonetheless among the world’s most famous and beloved breeds. The Saint Bernard Dog Breeds written standard abounds with phrases like “very powerful,” “extraordinarily muscular,” “imposing,” and “massive.” A male stands a minimum 27.5 inches at the shoulder; females will be smaller and more delicately built. The huge head features a wrinkled brow, a short muzzle, and dark eyes, combining to give Saints the intelligent, friendly expression that was such a welcome sight to stranded Alpine travelers.
Reference - American Kennel Club
- Personality: Friendly, patient, outgoing; known as a great “nanny dog” for kids
- Energy Level: Not very active; a mature Saint will be content with long walks and a romp on the lawn
- Good with Children: Yes
- Good with Other Dogs: With supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Weekly brushing
- Trainability: Agreeable
- Height: 28-30 inches (male), 26-28 inches (female)
- Weight: 140-180 pounds (male), 120-140 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 8-10 years
- Barking Level: Barks when necessary